Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Happy Birthday Colin

EDIT:
I just watched the episode on Good Morning America. I LOVED it- and as a matter of fact, I'm crying right now! I can't wait to see his response when he gets home from disney world!!!

You can watch the episode here!! http://gma.yahoo.com/video/colins-birthday-surprise-party-124543069.html



****

I came upon a facebook page, Happy Birthday Colin, and it really hit home to me. His mom wrote this on a pinned post:

"I am Colin's mom, I created this page for my amazing, wonderful, challenging son who is about to turn 11 on March 9th. Because of Colin's disabilities, social skills are not easy for him, and he often acts out in school, and the other kids don't like him. So when I asked him if he wanted a party for his birthday, he said there wasn't a point because he has no friends. He eats lunch alone in the office everyday because no one will let him sit with them, and rather than force someone to be unhappy with his presence, he sits alone in the office. So I thought, if I could create a page where people could send him positive thoughts and encouraging words, that would be better than any birthday party. Please join me in making my very original son feel special on his day."  

Here is a picture of him:

His smile would brighten anyones day! 

Colin, I want to wish you a happy happy 11th birthday. While you're going to celebrate your birthday, I will be celebrating my 1/2 birthday the same day! My birthday is September 9th! Be looking for a package from me soon! :)  

** IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEND SOME BIRTHDAY WISHED TO COLIN, HERE IS HIS ADDRESS: 

Colin-
PO box 756
Richland, MI 49083-0756



* I AM NOT SAYING THAT COLIN HAS ASPERGERS. IT HAS NOT BEEN SAID WHAT HE HAS...  I AM JUST SHARING MY STORY, WHICH IS SIMILAR...*

It breaks my heart to see people getting picked on in this world. Believe me, I know what it's like. I have been bullied my whole life. It started when I was younger, but especially when I was the same age as him. My mom passed away when I had just turned 11, and it took a toll on my social life. I started to become the target for getting picked on. It got worse when I was in high school. My dad had me take a couple of tests, and I was diagnosed with symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome. In 9th grade, I couldn't walk down the hallway without someone saying a rumor that was going around. Instead of being in my hallway, I started to go to the senior locker area to meet people. I used to write seniors letters, and they'd write me back. Some would be really nice, and encouraging. Others.. very mean. Recently, I was actually going through some of my things I kept, and I happened to come across a few of the letters. As I read them, I cried. At first, they were tears of sadness. It brought back memories to how bad people picked on me. But then I realized how far I have come, and how much I've changed. Those tears of sadness, became tears of joy. 

Birthday parties were pretty big for us growing up. My mom loved throwing parties for us. Being a twin, we always had them together. Just because we're twins, doesn't mean we have the same personality. Our personalities are completely different. For my 6th grade birthday party, I was having a "60's theme"... and my sister had a hair and make over theme. She didn't even want to be part of mine. I invited about 6 girls... 2 showed up. The other girls went to her party instead. I was devastated. I didn't have another birthday party until my 21st birthday.

Do you know what I have realized?

Because of everything I've been through, it's made me a stronger person. I wouldn't have set my dreams so big. I wouldn't be helping others like I do now. I wouldn't be the person who I am today. 


Life isn't a competition about who can have the most friends. Life is about finding out who you are, and why you were brought into this world. Life is about figuring out things that you love. Life is about surrounding yourself with people that truly love you and care about you. Life is about setting dreams that you want to have come true, and accomplishing them. Life is about be YOU and only YOU.










No comments:

Post a Comment