Tuesday, February 7, 2012

First Volunteering Experience, at Ronald McDonald House





I volunteered for the first time, for The Ronald McDonald House, in Kansas City.

The Ronald McDonald House (http://www.rmhckc.org) is a charity that provides a home for families to stay with sick children who are in the hospital. There are multiple volunteers (and some who have been there for years...like Jan Regan, who has been there for 28 years and counting!) <---Thanks for everything you do!

I volunteered with a group, SACS, (http://www.sacskc.com) a non-profit organization who volunteer their time to support local agencies and charities. I can't WAIT to go to more events! At this certain event on Sunday, we hosted a Super Bowl Party...(Kudos to all GIANTS fans out there!) The volunteers provided food, and watched the game. Not as many people showed up as we had hoped, but it's all good! I met a few families, and talked to them about their children who are sick. It's amazing how many different sicknesses that are out there, I feel like there is so much to learn! It's heart breaking to hear the stories. I just wish I could help EVERY.SINGLE.CHILD who is suffering.

All the stories touched me, but this one in particular: I met a young mom who has a 4 month old baby boy.(I will call the mom Sarah and her son Michael) He is suffering from epilepsy. WHen I asked how he was doing, she got chocked up and said, "not very well, actually... we don't think he is going to make it." I ended up going to see him in the hospital that night, and left crying. He's such a precious little guy.
Turns out he is pretty much brain dead as well. ;( she was told she was going to have to make a decision that next day to let him pass, or keep him alive and be on bed rest his whole life. I went go visit him the next day. It was like something sparked and the end results are changing. He's breathing on his own and his seizures are not as often, and he's not as brain dead as they thought! ;) so exciting! I am going to see him tomorrow hopefully, so I will post an update if anything has changed!

I can't WAIT to keep volunteering!

Here are some pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment